Friday, February 17, 2012




Here is an interview from a wonderful artist in LONDON (REMI ROUGH)

 1. Who are you and when did you start creating art?
I am Remi and I started making art in the way I currently make it around 27 years ago… But I have actually been drawing since a lot since I was 4 years old.

2. What was the influence that made you start creating art?
Probably seeing the book Subway Art and soon after the video of Style Wars… I guess those two things were completely pivotal in making a career choice for me, except at the time I don't think I realised I actually would be able to make a career out of it. Funny how things turn out sometimes.

3. What is your favorite medium and how did you arrive at this medium?
I think masking tape is my favourite medium. Graffiti writers (myself included), spend decades mastering the use of spray paint and then you realise 4 slithers of tape can get your line perfect and in just one hit. I've had people ask me if I think I'm cheating by using tape? Thats possibly the most ridiculous question I've ever been asked in my life.

4. How's the art scene as far as galleries, graffiti, street art and other creative forms of art in your city?
London is pretty stagnant at the moment, it needs some serious revitalisation… Most people spend their money on screen print editions only to re-sell them a year later… It's difficult to approach the more 'high end' galleries because quite frankly they're not ready for what myself and a lot of other artists of my genre do. The fine art world motors along nicely but all the fringe genres find it a real struggle I think.

5. How has your city influenced you and the art you have created?
In every way! The architecture, the mix of old and new buildings that surround me, the colours, the different tones of greys, blacks, steel and iron. I see shapes and forms wherever I am in London.

6. What type of person are you as far as politics and activism goes?
I have strong political opinions, I keep up to speed on world events but as far as activism goes, I always think people can do so much more with knowledge rather than brash actions…
I like to think that my 27 years painting within a rebellious art form is my way of 'sticking it to the man!'

7. Do you agree with medical marijuana? If so please explain why and if not do the same.
To be honest I don't know enough about it to comment, so I shan't.

8. How was your childhood and was art a common thing around the house?
I'm an only child so I spent a lot of my childhood sitting drawing and painting by myself… My Grandfather was good artist, but that wasn't his full time job, Also my Great Uncle; Antonio Pacitti was quite a well known artist and he taught me quite a bit about the fine art world… He also taught me how to stretch my own canvas. My parents ran a business shipping fine art all over Europe so I often got to see Canaletto's or Bruegal's and sometimes would go to the many galleries that my Dad used to work for, so I guess art was all around me, but I probably didn't appreciate it at the time the way I do now. 

9. Concerning art where do you think the future is going?
I have no idea… People will always make art, some of it good, a lot of it bad… Personally I want to continue to push my painting and start making marks in other mediums like sculpture and relief. I have some drawings for some small sculptures I hope to be showing at my Solo show in Newcastle this coming May.

10. How do you go about creating?
I start at the beginning and go on until something inside me me says stop.

11. Does your daily emotions influence your creative process?
Sometimes? I think I paint better when I'm in a bad mood or when I have things on my mind… If you're too focused on a painting sometimes you completely miss the point, it's easier to look inside from a slightly external perspective I think.

12. How do you deal with artist block?
Drink copious amounts of alcohol and maybe smash a few things up.
Or I occasionally read one of my many art books for inspiration.

13. Is there anybody special that has influenced you and your art?
One artist who hasn't necessarily influenced my art, but has definitely helped me to discover the freedom of abstraction and to never bow down to peer pressure would be legendary graffiti abstract pioneer Juice 126.
I also look at the work of Franz Kline, Mondrian, Van Doesburg and most importantly Kasimir Malevich. 
I try to see as much art as I can, you can't cook good food if you never eat good food.

14. Any regrets about the art you have created?
I have no regrets about anything… I guess I'm lucky like that.

15. Shout outs.
Definiteley, yes...

No comments:

Post a Comment